TEAM Essentials: Recognizing and Managing Aggression
This module, offered and updated by HSS since 1997, enables you to enhance your culture of safety and meet annual workplace violence training requirements with appropriate, affordable programs. The engaging, interactive, self-paced e-Learning version of TEAM Essentials is a cost-effective training option for individuals in higher risk departments such as the ED, as well as new employees and staff in lower risk areas. The instructor-led TEAM Essentials course, which provides for group interaction, is an excellent alternative for higher risk departments.
The Program At-A-Glance
- Course Objectives: Teach participants to recognize factors and hazards that can escalate to aggression or violence. Give participants the knowledge and skills they need to confidently mitigate and manage disruptive behavior and keep themselves safe.
- Prerequisite: None
- Instructor-led Course Length: 2-2.5 hour, instructor-led course minimizes staff time away from patient care.
- e-Learning Option: Although economic pressures are causing budget reductions, the commitment of hospitals to training that keeps staff safe while allowing them to focus on patient care remains strong. E-learning training supports that commitment by:
- Offering convenient access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Saving money- typically 40% less expensive than instructor-led course.
- Providing just-in-time training opportunities and “refresher” training opportunities.
- Reducing organizational effort and time.
- Maximizing staff productivity by reducing time away from their core job responsibilities.
- Centralizing knowledge management and easing compliance tracking.
- Course length: 1.5 hours.
- Course Content:
Staff will learn to:
- Recognize factors and hazards that can contribute to aggression or violence.
- Identify threats and take appropriate responses.
- Use effective strategies to enhance communication and build relationships.
- Apply the TEAM Aggression Cycle SM technique to verbally de-escalate and manage volatile situations.
- Employ progressive behavior control methods, which are discussed in accordance with The Joint Commission and CMS restraint and seclusion guidelines.
- Learning Tools: Interactive, engaging participants with videos, simulations, real-life healthcare professional experiences, case studies, downloadable job aids, workbooks, and, in instructor-led sessions, group discussion.
- Certificate of Completion: Presented to each participant who successfully completes TEAM Essentials.
- Compliance: Fully compliant with The Joint Commission, CMS, DNV (NIAHO), OSHA, and NIOSH guidelines.
- CEUs: HSS provides all the information participants need to apply for continuing education units following completion of TEAM Essentials. TEAM offers the ability to award your staff members continuing education credits (CEU’s) through an accrediting organization of your choice. TEAM provides a complete CEU packet which contains all of the information you would need to submit for CEU’s. You should check with the accreditation agency or your education department prior to submitting your packet for CEU’s. It’s important to note that TEAM does not award or issue CEU’s. TEAM Blue is eligible for up to .25 CEU’s. TEAM Gold is eligible for up to .2 CEU’s.
- Cost: Visit the Value Pricing page for details.
For more information: Toll-free 844-477-7781, or email us.