Tony W. York
Chief Operating Officer, HSS
Tony is the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President of Security for HSS, Denver, one of the nation’s leading specialized services outsourcing firms. York is responsible for directing the efforts of the HSS Healthcare Security division to develop programs that help hospitals and healthcare providers prevent and mitigate aggression and violence in their facilities and ensure the security and safety of their staff, patients, and visitors.
The HSS Healthcare Security division serves hundreds of customers in over 12 states and includes more than 1,700 healthcare security professionals (security officers, supervisors, directors, and Behavioral Security Technicians), Systems Integration, Emergency Management and Preparedness, and Consulting and Expert Witness services. He also oversees the Medical Equipment Management group, which maintains and repairs a full range of biomedical equipment to help customers operate more safely and efficiently.
York has more than 20 years of health care security management experience. He joined HSS Security in 1994, serving in a number of operational and leadership roles before being appointed Senior Vice President of the division in 2002. Prior to HSS, he was with North Carolina Baptist Hospital/Wake Forest University School of Medicine.
York, Board certified in security management, holds the Certified Protection Professional (CPP) designation and the Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA) designation. A native of North Carolina, he earned a B.S. degree in Criminal Justice from Appalachian State University, an M.S. in Loss Prevention and Safety from Eastern Kentucky University, and an MBA from the University of Denver.
York contributes regularly to the advancement of the healthcare security field. He is co-author of Hospital and Healthcare Security, 5th edition, which is widely considered to be the definitive book for hospital security. In a review published by ASIS International, the new edition was heralded as “the best single resource for the healthcare security practitioner.” His articles and quotes have appeared in national publications and media outlets such as Joint Commission Resources, CNN, Modern Healthcare, the New York Times, and many professional trade publications. He frequently is quoted in national broadcast media on healthcare security-related topics. York also is a court recognized expert and a frequent lecturer on healthcare security and leadership.
A Past President and Board Chair of the International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS), York chairs the Council on Guidelines. This council produces the Basic Operational Guidelines for Healthcare Security and Security Design Guidelines for Healthcare Facilities, which was released in March 2012. Internationally, he is actively involved in the IIR Facilities Security Australia Community network, which promotes healthcare security globally.
York and wife, Cara, live in Evergreen, Colo., and have two children, Leah and Garreth.
- ASIS International—member, lecturer, author, subject matter expert, Certified Protection Professional (CPP)
- American College of Healthcare Executives—member
- American Society of Healthcare Engineering—member, lecturer, author, subject matter expert
- Emergency Nurses Association—lecturer, subject matter expert
- IAHSS—Chair of Council on Guidelines, member, lecturer, author, subject matter expert, Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA)
- Hospital and Healthcare Security, 5th edition, co-author. Winner of the 2011 IAHSS Medal for Literary Achievement in recognition of significant literary contributions to the healthcare security, safety and risk management profession.
- Basic Operational Guidelines for Healthcare Security
- Security Design Guidelines for Healthcare Facilities, task force member, contributing writer. Recipient of the 2012 IHSS Foundation Phillip A. Gaffney Faculty Chair.
Tony W. York
Chief Operating Officer