Before calls were redirected to the Security Operations Center, on-site HSS security officers rotated through dispatch duty at their facility. Now when people pick up the phone for assistance in a Methodist Health System facility, they are talking to dispatchers in HSS’s Security Operations Center, who communicate back to HSS security staff on site.

Through this change, Methodist has realized several advantages:

  • The benefit of a consistent and efficient HSS answering service.
  • HSS security officers have been re-tasked to higher-visibility positions. Instead of sitting behind a window taking calls, the officers have moved from behind the glass and back onto the floor, where they are making better use of their security training.
  • Higher visibility of security officers was a goal of the organization. This consolidated solution has achieved Methodist’s goal without adding FTEs. In fact, Methodist lowered its staffing costs because it was able to re-task 70 percent of FTEs within its own facilities, while the other 30 percent were re-tasked to other positions.

“We’ve had this business model in place in many of our Denver-area hospitals for years,” observes Alan Butler, HSS VP, Central Region Healthcare Security. “When HSS transitions its services to new organizations, this is one of those efficiencies we always do as part of the process.”